… and how can it help me to improve my mental health in pregnancy, birth and parenting?
BrainWorking Recursive Therapy (BWRT) is a relatively new type of therapy that was developed by UK therapist Terence Watts in 2011. It is a form of psychotherapy that aims to create rapid and lasting changes in the brain’s neural pathways to help individuals overcome emotional and psychological difficulties.
BWRT uses a non-hypnotic approach to therapy that is grounded in neuroscience and the latest understandings of the brain. It works by creating new neural pathways in the brain to help individuals to break free from negative thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
In BWRT, we don’t aim to identify the root cause of your emotional or psychological issues. In most cases, it actually doesn’t matter why you started experiencing certain distresses or triggers for BWRT to work, but I do always include some level of psychoanalytical work. I then use a series of structured techniques to help you to reframe your thoughts and feelings and create new, more positive neural pathways in the brain. BWRT is a client-centered therapy, meaning that you as the client, are always in control of the therapy process, I am here to guide you throughout.
As I specialize in maternal mental health, I successfully applied BWRT for the following issues:
For Pregnancy & Birth
- Tokophobia – extreme fear of birth
- Worries or fears about the baby’s health or your heal
- High-level anxiety with intrusive thoughts you are not able to let go
- Previous birth trauma that impacts your next pregnancy and birth
- Birth trauma that impacts your ability to bond with the baby
- Postpartum depression and anxiety
- Excessive fears about the baby’s health, milestones, wellbeing
- Rage and excessive anger outbursts
- Lack of boundaries for your own wellbeing
- Lack of trust in your abilities to parent and care for your child
- Intrusive thoughts
Parenting – nurturing the relationship with your child
I use BWRT to release triggers that occur in the relationship with your child. You can support your child with conscious and gentle parenting tools (click here to read about my 12-week parenting course) however, if you are not well and still struggle with reactivity and e.g. anger outbursts over age-appropriate child behavior, it will be difficult to establish and keep nurturing a strong and healthy bond between you and your child.
The problems in the relationship don’t miraculously go away, they just change. I advise that you are looking into the triggers and issues below as soon as you can in order to protect your mental health and ensure an emotionally healthy upbringing of your child.
I use BWRT combined with conscious parent coaching if you
- have difficulty regulating your nervous system
- have difficulty staying calm when your child has a meltdown
- yell, spank, blame, and shame your child even though you don’t want to (you feel you are out of control)
- are not able to control your reactions and responses
Overall, BWRT is a relatively new and innovative approach to therapy that has shown promising results in helping individuals overcome emotional and psychological difficulties. It is a non-invasive, client-centered therapy that is grounded in neuroscience and the latest understandings of the brain.
If you are interested in BWRT and want to understand how it can help you, I suggest you schedule your free clarity call through the button below.